| Assistive Devices|
Release status: unknown [box doku]
|Description||Designing, making, hacking learning about devices to assist people undertake everyday tasks|
|Last Version||ongoing sessions|
Assistive Devices are anything, physical, electronic or software to help people accomplish everyday tasks. This is the index page for Assistive Device information and projects from Xinchejian members. Assistive Devices 是一个为残疾人设计的装置 - 此装置涉及到非常广的技术范围 ，学用此装置是动手学做玩意儿的好方式
Why Assistive Devices?
Most solutions needs customising to individuals needs.
Solutions that we build here may not work as well as commercial solutions. However, they can be easily and cheaply modified to suit the specific requirements of individuals.
Key Goals of Assistive Devices at Xinchejian
- Please read this introduction: Assistive Devices PDF presentation
- Create comprehensive solutions for people
- Create a process for understanding needs and building solutions
- Centralize information on Assistive Devices
Assistive Devices that Xinchejian members are working on
This is a summary table of devices Xinchejian members have started working on. Click through the links for details. There are lots of "work in progress", but more information being added frequently!
|Device||Controls||Controlled by||Movement||Buttons||Approx $US||Approx RMB (if purchased in China)||Open Source - computer software||Open Source - Hardware||Open Source - Hardware firmware/code||operating system||Computer requirements||Hardware summary||Installation & construction||Status||Notes|
|mouse movements and buttons||hand grasp||2 axis mouse control, some have z twist which can be used||usually 2+, often 4+||See BOM list for cost estimates.||Apple Linux Windows||USB port||USB joystick||USB Joystick||Works||may require joystick to be mounted on stable surface|
|mouse movements and buttons||thumb and hand grasp, or if joystick fixed to surface a finger or palm||2 axis mouse control||One||Apple Linux Windows||USB port||Thumb joystick , Teensy++ 2 or similar - device that appaears as USB HID mouse||Thumb joystick||Works|
|mouse movements and buttons||hand, wrist, finger, foot||Point, twist/rotate/tilt, move, jerk, tap/bump||require added button hardware, or software implementation||Apple Linux Windows||USB port||Accelerometer MMA7660 or similar. Teensy++ 2 or similar - device that appears as USB HID mouse||Accelerometer||prototype||Currently poor mouse control - needs work!|
|mouse movements and buttons||hand, wrist, finger, foot||Point, twist/rotate/tilt, move, jerk, tap/bump||require added button hardware, or software implementation||Apple Linux Windows||USB port||Accelerometer MPU-6050/GY521 or similar. Teensy++ 2 or similar - device that appears as USB HID mouse||Accelerometer and Gryo (and Compass)||prototype||Works VERY WELL!|
|mouse movements and buttons||Eye(s)||2 axis mouse control||software buttons||Apple Linux Windows||USB port||Web camera and prefer Infrared light||Eyetracker||prototype||have not got working yet – need to add visible light filter|
Ideas for Improvements
- Leap Motion - Ask for the hardware. They may give to hackerspace for free - message has been sent requesting help!
- Leap Motion with Arduino and Node.js
- Hole/area with four switches - arm/hand moves = mouse
- 3D glasses or similar - ie computer screen in glasses - this avoids the need to move big computer screen around
Tasks - progress updates & Help wanted
- Tasks - progress updates & Help wanted - Please view this page to see the latest progress updates.
- In the future, we might switch to using GitHub.
- Thursday night Helper Sessions - We have a focus on Assistive Devices.
- Accelerometer and Gryo (and Compass)
- Thumb joystick
- USB Joystick
- Usable Devices Website - Maintained partly by User:Spanner
- Github - XCJ Code Repository
- AbleData provides objective information about assistive technology products and rehabilitation equipment
- Staggered Speech onscreen keyboard-used with Camera Mouse or EagleEyes or head/eye-controlled mouse
- Midas Touch-used with Camera Mouse or EagleEyes or head/eye-controlled mouse
- advanced mouth controlled joystick-operated USB mouse (commercial)
- HeadMouse Extreme - wireless head mouse (commercial)
- head tracking via a target stuck on users head (commercial)
- Assistive Technology Devices Products and Information
- Humanware - live independantly
- DIY Keyboardless Typing
- Tecla - tools to access to mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets
- Assistive Technology at Both Ends of the Price Spectrum
- portable, hands-free, zero-effort blink-controlled speech system, inspired by the voice system of Stephen Hawking
- Turn your Wireless Keyboard into a MAME Controller!
- Sign Language Glove - translates sign language