Weekly Staff Meetings/2016-06-21
Staff Meeting Notes 2016-06-21, 20:30 to 21:30 Staff: Freda, Ricky, Min Lin, Kevin Notes: Ricky Attending:
- 1 Props and Announcements
- 2 Past Week's Events
- 3 Coming Week's Events and Workshops
- 4 Later Workshops
- 5 Budget
- 6 XinCheJian Internship
- 7 P2 reorganizing the entrance
- 8 XCJ WiFi
- 9 Wednesday Open Night
- 10 Membership Have Dropped Off
- 11 XCJ Trademark
- 12 Sponsorships
- 13 2016 Plan
- 14 Hackerspace Convention
- 15 Friends of Xinchejian
- 16 FINANCES
- 17 Labeling equipment
- 18 Space usage/large projects
- 19 Staff Roles
- 20 Xinchejian Rules Changelog
- 21 Box Management
- 22 Space Safety
- 23 Haier refrigerator/beef aging system
- 24 MEETUPS
- 25 Summer workshops at Hardwired
- 26 How does the space survive in 6 months
- 27 CHRIS GONE
Props and Announcements
- Chris is away
- Two new interns: Dooho & Yu
Past Week's Events
- DIY robot - Sunday 19th 1.30pm to 4 pm
- Helicopter simulator Saturday 18th - 1 to 5 ok
- 25th of June Roger aquaponic
Coming Week's Events and Workshops
- This Saturday: website making; next Saturday: kin's
- Sat and Sun: Rudi IoT robot
- Arduino Workshop: Targeting mid-June by Eduardo (busy by Mobile World Congress robot?)
- 2 part workshop
- July 23rd or 24th, Rocket workshop about detecting water and air pollution
- July 16th and 17th, a printer workshop
- July 9th, Kin's.
- Roger's probably need to be on July 10th.
- Machine Room Safety Workshop by Xinfab and Chris (Thursday evening June 23rd introduction)
- presentation ready https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9esginr5EbHZ1d1TnV3a2JnZjA (need xcj account)
- Aquaponics Workshop by Roger: postponed to July 9th
- 3D modeling by Amanda: July 2nd. software, fusion360, manufacturing and industrial design
- DIY PCB Design by Paul: July 9-10, write up by Paul
- Workshop with Xinchejian and Xinfab. KIDS MAKER EDUCATION
- mid august for 40 kids total, 2 groups
- august, 16 and 17th Tuesday and Wednesday to xinfab
- KEVIN to update: Kevin is not ready to update
- Recruited 4 in total so far, ready to start in mid/end of June
- see email by Ricky for Dooho & Yu
P2 reorganizing the entrance
- moving the dune buggy, expanding to the outside
- Chris reports that China Unicom is offering 60 mbit line for 480 RMB/month
- New P2 internet is OK, so Wifi issue is resolved for now
- on hold for now until we get sponsors
Wednesday Open Night
HOST: Freda (Dooho & Yu)
Membership Have Dropped Off
- Roger suggests being a Nazi about checking if current members have paid their dues
- Chris says that the space is active enough, but there is a money issue from the low amount of membership fees collected every month
- less people coming. more membership cost to raise? more sponsors needed?
- Chris and Paul to print and stamp documents after today's meeting
- Paul just do it. Make Edward do it. Or Mika.
- PAUL to ask MIKA about Alibaba. PAUL TO UPDATE
- Japanese company sponsorship: Company producing hardware similar to Arduino, their advertising company looking to sponsor XinCheJian
- Bosch: feels too much money, Paul asked for the equipment list but they haven't replied yet
- Google: Not yet
- iRobot: ANDI to follow up -- pitch in August. iRobot is setting up operations.
- Mini:Mini dead.
- Amanda to work on sponsorships. Panasonic lead.
- Foxconn: Meeting in person in July, Paul gonna do it. Investment an something. Reached out to us the were in a tour.
- Huawei lead
- TO DO: What we did with the money for next sponsors.
CHRIS & KEVIN to work on the below:
- Check google docs for XCJ 2015 Events for retrospective of 2015 and our accomplishments
- Chris to add Wan Gang & mayor of shanghai photos to google doc -DONE
- CHRIS to contact Amanda about Metro TV pics/vids - TO DO
- ANDI to send video link to Chris to add to google doc - DONE
Goals for 2016
- What did we do in 2015
- Documenting ongoing projects
- Chris - some event once a year
- Chris - invite other hacker spaces to shanghai
- Kevin - training people about hackerspaces??
- Paul - one big party
- Chris - bring everyone together to work on something.
- We are going to tie up this event to maker carnival.
- KEY NEED: SPONSORSHIP
- DOCUMENT PROJECTS -- CHRIS
- CHRIS proposes Hackerspace Convention for sharing best practices, building community of hackerspaces in China
- PAUL to follow-up with David for hackerspace contacts
- Amanda and Paul to follow up making a list of contacts.
- China makerspace alliance
- PAUL TO PRESENT OUTCOMES AND LIST BY JUNE 28th
Friends of Xinchejian
Eduardo's idea to inform sponsors, alumni, stakeholders updates on XinCheJian (email template is ready)
- PAUL to provide feedback/assistance
- he did not do it
- Also need to assemble list of friends (businesses/corporations)
- also didnt do it
- PAUL suggests looking through email list for business/corporation domains, CHRIS suggests looking at sponsors for events such as Maker Faire/Fail Faster for potential email targets
- CHRIS GONNA DO HER PART
- Rent paid until end of June.
- New change from government affecting P2. From 7% to 11% on invoices for rent / property (VAT).
- 7 months PURE BURN
- This is the last 6 months we can pay, then Paul is out
- More workshops
- Could not do lump payment
- NEED SPONSORS (3 SPONSORS to survive another 2 years (estimate))
- Labeling the equipment that are our own with our stickers APPROVED/TODO
- Xinchejian: Stickers -- ANDREA to make stickers (small enough)
- Budget 400 RMB.. andi!!!! update!
- ANDI TO DO THIS NOW
- ANDI TO DO THIS FIVE WEEKS AGO...and counting
Space usage/large projects
- Have a Contract for x months / project page
- Require documentation on XinCheJian Wiki
- Update project room rules
- create application form
- APPROVED BY STAFF
- GOES IN THE CHANGELOG / BYLAWS
- PAUL TO DRAFT SPACE USAGE AGREEMENT before next staff meeting.
- PAUL PAUL PAUL WHERE IS THIS?
- paul did not do it. Paul to present it on the 28 when he is back
- Main candidates this: Kin's helicopter simulator & transportation project
- Kin's helicopter simulator
- been in the room forever, removing it? how long can he stay?
- Application process - AMANDA to deal with it. Proposal method and scheduling for the room.
- chris to give heads up to kin: one month left for kin starting from when we have the scheduling in place.
- IT: Ricky Ng-Adam, Paul Adams
- SPONSORSHIP (Partnerships, Cooperations, Sponsorships): Kevin Chen+Amanda
- CORPORATE WORKSHOPS: Min Lin Hsieh
- VISUAL, Pictures, XinConnect - Andrea Carlon
- PARTY & BBQ: Roger Mu
- MACHINES AND PARTS: Paul Adams
- FINANCE: Treasury
- MEMBERSHIPS: Manage memberships, Amanda
- MARKETING: Communications, PR
- SPACE ORGANIZATION: Machines and parts, space itself
- INTERNAL EVENTS / WORKSHOPS: Events and Workshops
- Everyone works with Space Manager
Xinchejian Rules Changelog
Rules Changes: rules_changelog
- CHRIS to check who has paid for boxes, those that are not paid for will be opened and claimed after 2 weeks (announce ultimatum at Wednesday night, wechat groups, etc)
- Sean write the rules, and stuck on the membership box and on the door. make the member sign the thing
- Sean to do a presentation of what he did wrong in order to tell people what not to do at the space.
- ask him to make a safety presentation to each new member for a month.
- Sean to open and close and maintain the space for the 3 weeks that Chris is away
SAFETY AT THE SPACE: no chemicals, no gasses, no radioactive materials, no fires.
Haier refrigerator/beef aging system
- ROGER proposes hosting his project for beef aging system
- ANDI says it would be OK if XCJ could keep the fridge and as long as it can take up the space that the urban farming area currently takes up, ROGER to follow-up with Haier to see if XCJ could keep the fridge
- APPROVED: No more space used than currently used. We keep the fridge.
- no more meetups
- let's think about which meetups
- Roger to do a urban farming meetup once a week for month, starting next week.
- amplifier meetup from amanda, starting july
Summer workshops at Hardwired
- Amanda to gives 40% of the fee to Xinchejian if we bring members to them
- workshops costs costs 2000RMB to 3000RMB each and run for a week.
- Arduino processing workshops go very well.
- they can pay directly Chris so we can keep track of it
- do we do it?
- Discussion from June 21st
- don't be salespeople, affiliate marketers for other companies
- driving members to another space
- EF would be happy to get referrals, EIC would be happy to get referrals; why this one company?
- Hardwired has become a competitor to XinCheJian within the same area; obvious conflict of interest
How does the space survive in 6 months
- find more corporate sponsorships
- workshops: more workshops?
- members: high-level memberships, another stakeholders round
- universities: better fit with our own? looking for labs for their students?
- marketing for get sponsorships: more efforts, close smaller brands
- 3 weeks leave starting from 18th June: colorado, then end of June in California