Weekly Staff Meetings/2016-03-08

From XinCheJian
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Staff Meeting Notes 2015-03-08, 20:40 to 22:00
Staff: Chris, Paul, Roger, Kevin
Notes: Paul

Props and Announcements

  • Chris!

Past Week's Events

  • teacher huang - people had a good time, built remotes, wireless chargers, drones.

Coming Week's Events and Workshops =

  • Game design - 13 March - 12 people now! woohoo, go kevin!
  • How to Use Machine Room Workshop by Xinfab and Chris - Put off till April
  • 3D Printer Workshop - 20 March Sun by Jason Nie - 2 days - zero signups
  • Drone Workshop by Mushroom Cloud Hackerspace coach - Li

High school Hackathon Support

  • Time: April 3rd
  • Place: Fablab O Shanghai in Tongji University
  • It is the first hackathon for high school students in Shanghai.
  • They hope that Xinchejian can grant them month-long memberships as the prizes for 5 outstanding contestants in the hackathon, in the wish to help them further explore this world of makers.
  • In addition, they want to invite 1 or 2 makers from Xinchejian as the judge for the hackathon as well as the speaker representing XinCheJian.
  • XinCheJian to sponsor 5x 1 month memberships - to give a start date or expiry date
  • Chris to Judge

Summer Camp Promotion

  • Organizer: Fablab O Shanghai in Tongji University
  • Fablab O is organizing a summer camp to send teenager makers to the U.S. , they want us to help them recruit attendees.
  • XCJ benefits: acquire 1200 RMB for per attendees, after the summer camp, they'll give 2400 RMB more.
    • XinCheJian to not be involved with this as it seems business orientated.

FMB-Lite Robot Competition

  • Tech support: give advice to competitors about their projects. Budget: 5000 RMB.
    • possible if we find someone to handle it
  • Competition rules making and editing. Budget: 3000 RMB.
    • possible if we find someone, will involve meeting the organisers
  • Come up with other creative plan and execute it. Budget: 20,000 RMB.
    • no nonononono

Wednesday Night Live?

  • Our Spanish member - Eduardo would like to put XinCheJian open night on Youtube, so people from different country can watch it.
    • It'll be on his personal Youtube account.
  • to follow up: Would be great if it was uploaded under xinchejian account, can give access to xinchejian to him and full credit no problem, just it goes into history or xinchejian.
  • CC-BY-SA license to XinCheJian


  • Do we need to buy a new router?
  • RICKY to choose and buy!
    • ricky.. where is it.

Wednesday Open Night

  • Host (Chinese/English): Chris
  • Announcement: Chris (newsletter), Chris (WeChat)


  • Automato: Politics of Power
  • Qian Feng: family thermostatic system
  • Teacher Huang: Physics demo

Frog Plug?

  • Frog never asked for anything before, and this is an example of how we're hoping to treat future sponsors.
  • STAFF approved

Hackerspace Work

Future of HAL

  • PAUL to talk to LIO
  • Decide next step
  • Researching open source solution
  • Need a DVD
  • Fix hal with Lio remote support (attempted, failed, new DVD coming); Lio doesn't have an update yet

  • Kevin not heard from DFROBOT. KEVIN to ask again.
    • Kevin update: "We already have the machine in office and under test, working on what products to put in it, you'll have it soon, xcj to take 40%"

Problems this Week

Staff Roles

    • IT: Ricky Ng-Adam, Paul Adams
    • SPONSORSHIP (Partnerships, Cooperations, Sponsorships): Kevin Chen
    • VISUAL, Pictures, XinConnect - Andrea Carlon
    • PARTY & BBQ: Roger Mu
    • MACHINES AND PARTS: Paul Adams
    • FINANCE: Treasury
    • MEMBERSHIPS: Manage memberships,
    • MARKETING: Communications, PR
    • SPACE ORGANIZATION: Machines and parts, space itself
    • INTERNAL EVENTS / WORKSHOPS: Events and Workshops
    • Everyone works with Space Manager

Xinchejian Rules Changelog

Rules rules_changelog

Xinchejian Anniversary Party Birthday #5? - March 26

  • ROGER to organize
  • Budget - 2500 RMB
  • Theme -
  • Level 1: "Get people drunk"
  • Level 2: Roger to present this next week
    • update: 2555rmb updated cost
    • no cakee
    • roger to keep it under 2500

Barcamp, March 26

  • XCJ to promote in newsletter and wechat

Group Picture of Staff

  • Do it XinCheJian anniversary party (March 26)
  • ANDREA must do it. Will bring lighting.

Food Party

  • PAUL to get the oven back from Amanda for next week
    • Amanda agreed

Wiki Staff Profiles

Required profile page on wiki for all staff.

XinFab - Relationship

  • Nothing to talk about it
  • Yuruki - Trained by Paul (props to Paul)
  • Concerned about their maintenance



  • XinConnect is live! Still a few graphical stuff to fix but is functional.
  • http://xinconnect.xinchejian.com - New Xinconnect platform thingy.
  • Just use it, and experiment.
    • xinconnect.xinchejian.com does not work yet!!!!!!


XCJ trademark

  • PAUL: Waiting on Paul. Paul print, sign and chop! (four weeks not done in a row)



  • Google: ANDI: Update? potential lead at Google, no pitch yet (cheap-mobile-for-India guy that is very keen to help hackerspaces)
  • Microsoft: Lio is following up with Microsoft, guy is not getting back to him; follow up; follow follow up. Lio?

Sponsorship Presentation

Chris & Kevin to work on the below:

  • Staff to come up with retrospective of 2015 and our accomplishments.
    • update events
    • new goals
    • media updates/coverage
      • Wan Gang & mayor of shanghai
  • goals for 2016
    • what did we do for the money we raised.
  • on going projects
    • Chris - some event once a year
    • Chris - invite other hacker spaces to shanghai
    • Kevin - training people about hackerspaces
    • Paul - one big party
    • Chris - bring everyone together to work on something.

Proposal TODO

  • Communication plan - APPROVED/TODO
    • mucho confusion outside XCJ about roles and history of XinCheJian
    • who has which title (original founder, co-founders, stakeholders, staff, members employees) with titles and dates
    • the right way to represent itself externally
    • official index on wiki & blog post (Who's who)
  • CHRIS - review of the website.
  • Labeling the equipment that are our own with our stickers APPROVED/TODO
  • Xinchejian: Stickers -- ANDREA to make stickers
    • Budget 400 RMB

Workshop Pricing

Talk about pricing.

  • Ricky - "We want to create a environment to attract people to give workshops..."
  • CHRIS - How to calculate
  • PAUL - Google spreadsheet and share

Next Meeting

  • Making profit -- Should we expand the team?
  • Teaching for workshops --

  • ROGER: Security Guards are assholes - scooters not allowed to be parked inside, why the fuck?
  • ROGER: What the fuck, What the fuck, What the fuck!
  • ROGER: Scooter is part of my project, WHAT THE FUCK!!
  • CHRIS: no one in P2 is allowed to bring the scooter in (mini)
  • ROGER: why are others allowed but not P2 people?
  • Action: Kevin to talk to mini