Weekly Staff Meetings/2015-10-12
Staff Meeting Notes 2015-10-12, 20:30 to 21:45 Notes: Ricky Meeting Organizer: Ricky Staff: Roger, Min Lin, Ricky Observers: Chris, Leo
MIssion of the space
Something measurable, includes what we're doing and helps us make decisions on proposals.
- PROPOSAL/MODIFIED: The mission of XinCheJian is to increase XinCheJian resources utilization by makers making projects they are proud to share to the community. Making is defined as DIY projects, making something from scratch, reproducing a project found online - whatever form of creation of something physical (electronics, mechanical and software that interact both).
- number of projects completed / demoed
- project-man-hours (number of people in space doing projects * hours)
- proportion of projects built at XinCheJian presented on Wednesday
- Partnerships with the right events (lots of makers and potential makers)
- Work on the outdoor information area
- Work on becoming more welcome
Changes to decision
- decisions should support the mission (in general, supporting the makers)
- no auto-rejection of decisions based on commercial/not commercial, focus on value/cost
- although we welcome other non-physical projects, physical projects take the priority in our allocation of resources (space) and our focus
- Laurent: Cymatic Sand Sound Visualiser
- Camilo: Plobot and Multipo Robots
- Sean: Ultrasonic Levitator and Oculus Rift "Out of Body Experience"
- Roger: Non-Visual Collision Prevention System (NVCPS)
- Lio: Sofa car and/or LioBar™?
- Zoe: ReBag - Sustainable Creative Design Be Inspired and Inspiring
- Estimate Space: 1 member box for Sean; 1 member box for Roger; 1 small box for Lio; 1 small box for Camilo; 1 big box for Laurent. Zoe will take their projects herself.
- Transportation: how to move sofa car and Liobar? A truck? Do we have the contact from last year? What’s the budget?
- Extension cords: 2 on each booth, in total 8
- XinCheJian poster: need four XinCheJian posters and some fliers, do we have the template already?
- Project posters: 2 Sean’s projects; 1 Lio’s; got Camilo and Zoe prepare it themselves.
- Maker Passport: 50 pieces; XinCheJian stamp.
- Do we need a sign-up sheet for attendees?
Organization of the space
- See LeoYan email organization (updated)
- translations Chinese
- there is NO 3D PRINTERS table (move out the big printer donation to XinFab)
- Identify work tables as "Cleared everyday"
- software installation of Bizspark (Chris to asks AMANDA to transfer Bizspark licenses)
- Update Machine Room to indicate XinFab half
- tag projects with QR code (https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com) to projects (http://wiki.xinchejian.com/wiki/Category:Project)
- QR Code printer stickers
- top priority
- DFRobot distributor vending machine for beginners to get kits
- sort the components (more value to the makers)
- Listing of tools and projects built here would attract and convince makers to come
- Posters, listing on the box, listing on the website
Mitch Altman Hackerspace Tour Presentation
- XinCheJian Speaker
- XinCheJian Presentation
- Send invite to all recently ACTIVE members of the XinCheJian space
Cooperate with A Startup Competition Organizer
- If XinCheJian gives them projects, they will give XinCheJian benefits. Not sure about the details yet, Amanda will discuss with them after we decide to cooperate with them
Template for proposal for XinCheJian
PROPOSAL: create a single one pager that explains what we are looking for in proposal to send to people that want to collaborate
- explain the mission clearly
- set of questions to evaluate proposal
- Chris (workshop/events/marketing manager)
- PROPOSAL/APPROVED: find & hire EE fresh grad to provide technical assistance with inventory/electronics/ordering/support/use and doing workshops to teach electronics
- our equivalent to Sean@XINFAB but with an electronics background
- ask Sean@XINFAB if he could do it part-time
DFRobot Vending Machine Sponsorship Cooperation Options
PROPOSAL/ONHOLD (MIN LIN TO FOLLOW UP): Vending Machine Donation with us managing the inventory
By email: Rick, Min Lin, Paul and Lio: A is the best option.
Roger thinks rental is easier, but not strong opinion.
Sean: who will decide what goes in under proposal A? What I want probably differs from most; DFRobot would probably cater to a wider, more casual audience. Also, won't a capital investment by XCJ be required to stock it?
Kevin: Proposal A can definitely be annoying, but I think it's probably the best thing for us? We should also have a sense of what sells. Proposal B is going to be messy, and will require us to audit DFRobot to make sure that we're making a fair "split". I would lean towards not giving this option. Proposal C is probably the most straightforward. We would need to decide on what we think is a fair rental rate. Any suggestions?
This Week's Events
Wednesday Open Night
- Host (Chinese/English): LEO/CHRIS
- Announcement: CHRIS (newsletter), CHRIS (WeChat)
- teacher Huang: small demos physics
- Siqi: Recreate cotton candy machine
- Zoe: upcycling (will also do a workshop)
- Maker Carnival announcement (ask for volunteers)
- Shanghai Barcamp 24th (speakers and volunteers)
- Announce and register for workshop
- Show plan for the space
- tech assistant
RICKY/CHRIS: to announce Hacker Scholarship ("Lioship" see below)
The hacker scholarship grant is marketing, propose project, have budgets, mentor, signup as partner, propose timeline, propose budget, 3 months, display at the space, property of the space.
- any one staff member can sponsor a project
- create a wiki page on projects (on wiki.xinchejian.com) and send it to the email@example.com
- purchase the components out of the already approved total hacker scholarship budget of 3K RMB (total)
- reports how the money got spent at the staff meeting weekly
- fast track limited to first three projects
- Setup the Microsoft Azure BizSpark:
- LIO to do the setup in HK to activate the instances
- RICKY help with the MIcrosoft Azures cloud services
- CHRIS to follow with DFRobot ordering account (firstname.lastname@example.org -> email@example.com)
- MIN LIN: if not, will sort it out with ROCKETS
- more sponsorships?
- CHRIS: Altium high-end PCB design (waiting on proposal for licenses)
- ANDI: potential lead at Google, no pitch yet (cheap mobile for India guy that is very keen to help hackerspaces)
- LIO: Lio is following up with Microsoft, guy is not getting back to him
Mitch is already in China!
- October 12th, Tuesday, 7pm he will be at XinCheJian
- Tongji, XinFab, Mushroom Cloud will be at the space
- Barcamp - Saturday October 24th at NYU Shanghai
- Occupy Barcamp volunteers (need 8): Roger, Chris (if next weekend), Kin (ask), Gael (ask), Sean (ask), Zoe (ask)
- Shanghai Maker Carnival - October 17th, October 18th
- announcement made at XinCheJian
- CHRIS is acting as liaison with Shanghai Maker Carnival, filled in the form
- Paul & Sean would be interested to go
- ANDI to upload the video from 2014
- Entry level intro to Quirkbot (robots with straws)
- Swedish consulate to pay for stuff
- Arduino introduction at 800 show
- Open public: 800show to the public
- 10am to 4pm (50 - 100 people)
- RICKY got some instructors interested, their fee is between 0 and 600 RMB / hour
Improving Members XinCheJian experience
Andi & Greg
- Forum for XinCheJian (members)
- has some social network features
- Greg is a developer
- ANDI to finalize and send it to CHRIS
- Communicate the survey to KEVIN to get an opinion (CHRIS to keep him updated)
- There are WeChat surveys
- Also SurveyMonkey
- t-shirt design with XinCheJian logo: 20 to 25 RMB, sell for 50 RMB
- T-shirts have been ordered, KEVIN are they coming soon?
- PAUL/EDWARD: reimbursement from official bank account
- PROPOSAL/REVIEW: Oliver as official mascot for XinCheJian
- What are we signing up for? How we will use him for marketing (details)?Template:DEFAULTSORT 2015-10-12