Weekly Staff Meetings/2015-10-06
Staff Meeting Notes 2015-10-06, 20:00 to 21:30 Notes: Ricky Meeting Organizer: Ricky Staff: Sean, Ricky Observers: Chris, Leo
- Chris and Leo for starting to clean up and sort out of the space
- Sean for rejoining staff and helping Thomas (new member) get started
MIssion of the space
Something measurable, includes what we're doing and helps us make decisions on proposals.
- PROPOSAL: the mission of XinCheJian is to increase XinCheJian resources utilization by makers making projects they are proud to share to the community
- number of projects completed / demoed
- project-man-hours (number of people in space doing projects * hours)
- proportion of projects built at XinCheJian presented on Wednesday
- Partnerships with the right events (lots of makers and potential makers)
- Work on the outdoor information area
- Work on becoming more welcome
Changes to decision
- decisions should support the mission (in general, supporting the makers)
- no auto-rejection of decisions based on commercial/not commercial, focus on value/cost
Organization of the space
- See LeoYan email organization
- increase searchability, findability, surfacing the visibilty of the items
- organizer boxes for small components
- top-level components
- top priority
- DFRobot distributor vending machine for beginners to get kits
- sort the components (more value to the makers)
- Listing of tools and projects built here would attract and convince makers to come
- Posters, listing on the box, listing on the website
- Chris (workshop/events/marketing manager)
- PROPOSAL: hire EE fresh grad to assists with inventory/electronics/ordering/support and doing workshops
DFRobot Vending Machine Sponsorship Cooperation Options
PROPOSAL/ONHOLD (MIN LIN TO FOLLOW UP): Vending Machine Donation with us managing the inventory
By email: Rick, Min Lin, Paul and Lio: A is the best option.
Roger thinks rental is easier, but not strong opinion.
Sean: who will decide what goes in under proposal A? What I want probably differs from most; DFRobot would probably cater to a wider, more casual audience. Also, won't a capital investment by XCJ be required to stock it?
Kevin: Proposal A can definitely be annoying, but I think it's probably the best thing for us? We should also have a sense of what sells. Proposal B is going to be messy, and will require us to audit DFRobot to make sure that we're making a fair "split". I would lean towards not giving this option. Proposal C is probably the most straightforward. We would need to decide on what we think is a fair rental rate. Any suggestions?
Partner With The Makers
website: http://www.themakers.cn (TV, crowdfunding for a party) socializing with free seats
PROPOSAL/ONHOLD(CHRIS to follow up): cooperate with XinCheJian, i.e. use XinCheJian logo COUNTER-PROPOSAL: figure out a deal that brings more members through the deal, presenting at the space, introduction to XinCheJian. CHRIS to follow up with The Makers.
- Andi: Seems an interesting opportunity if there are no other strings attached.
- Paul: As we have agreed before.. No. Do we need to bring this on a case by case basis to the staff meeting. Its commercial use of xinchejian.
- Ricky: I think it's pretty crazy how XinCheJian is rejecting every single opportunity out of hand that could potentially enhance the value of the space.... Wouldn't makers be interested in being associated with a platform that can let them crowdfund their dream making project? If this was XinCheJian 1.0, we would have worked with them. What happened?
XinCheJian Door Access Management
PROPOSAL/DONE: We officialize the space manager(s) role as the liaison with People Squared and explain community. KEVIN: to follow up with Minnie and if required escalate to Bob. Explain that Amanda is not the liaison for the space.
PROPOSAL/ONGOING: Members who have over 6 months membership and come to XinCheJian at least three times a week will have access to the front door. Staff will authorize Chris to talk to receptionist and help members get the card. 3 times a week.
PROPOSAL/ONHOLD(Kevin to send proposal): 1 year membership bundle for makers (t-shirt, passport, storage box, access card): RMB900
PROPOSAL: Chris to keep track of who has an access card
Co-organize DIY My City With Intel
PROPOSAL/REJECTED: AMANDA did not give the contact to Chris so they dropped XinCheJian as co-organizer of this competition with Intel, ChuangXinWu and Tongji University
This Week's Events
Wednesday Open Night
- Host (Chinese/English): LEO/CHRIS
- Announcement: CHRIS (newsletter), CHRIS (WeChat)
- DONE: PAUL to give introduction to using MailChimp to CHRIS
- Presentations tomorrow
- teacher Huang: small demos physics
- Leo: Arduino programmer (ISP/FTDI)
RICKY/CHRIS: to announce Hacker Scholarship ("Lioship" see below)
The hacker scholarship grant is marketing, propose project, have budgets, mentor, signup as partner, propose timeline, propose budget, 3 months, display at the space, property of the space.
- any one staff member can sponsor a project
- create a wiki page on projects (on wiki.xinchejian.com) and send it to the email@example.com
- purchase the components out of the already approved total hacker scholarship budget of 3K RMB (total)
- reports how the money got spent at the staff meeting weekly
- fast track limited to first three projects
- Setup the Microsoft Azure BizSpark:
- LIO to do the setup in HK to activate the instances
- RICKY help with the MIcrosoft Azures cloud services
- CHRIS to follow with DFRobot ordering account (firstname.lastname@example.org -> email@example.com)
- MIN LIN: if not, will sort it out with ROCKETS
- more sponsorships?
- CHRIS: Altium high-end PCB design (waiting on proposal for licenses)
- ANDI: potential lead at Google, no pitch yet (cheap mobile for India guy that is very keen to help hackerspaces)
- LIO: Lio is following up with Microsoft, guy is not getting back to him
- Barcamp - October 24th at NYU Shanghai
Mitch is already in China!
- October 12th, Tuesday, 7pm he will be at XinCheJian
- Tongji, XinFab, Mushroom Cloud will be at the space
- Shanghai Maker Carnival - October 17th, October 18th
- announcement made at XinCheJian
- CHRIS is acting as liaison with Shanghai Maker Carnival, filled in the form
- Paul & Sean would be interested to go
- ANDI to upload the video from 2014
- Entry level intro to Quirkbot (robots with straws)
- Swedish consulate to pay for stuff
- Arduino introduction at 800 show
- Open public: 800show to the public
- 10am to 4pm (50 - 100 people)
- RICKY got some instructors interested, their fee is between 0 and 600 RMB / hour
Improving Members XinCheJian experience
Andi & Greg
- Forum for XinCheJian (members)
- has some social network features
- Greg is a developer
- ANDI to finalize and send it to CHRIS
- Communicate the survey to KEVIN to get an opinion (CHRIS to keep him updated)
- There are WeChat surveys
- Also SurveyMonkey
- lots of issues in developing product from ideation to commercialization
- do we want help people to start kickstart their hardware business?
- connecting people and services, tea session, depth of technical knowledge
Rules & Regulations
- CHRIS: https://github.com/xinchejian/bylaws
- to maintain based on the approved proposals in the meeting notes
- Bylaws: https://github.com/xinchejian/bylaws
- please review as staff
- Discussion about name: ANDI doesn't approve Bylaws; Italians would disregard them^^
- Rules or Regulations to be used instead
- ALL: create wiki page for our ourselves
- for alumni members
- for past members
- for profiled members
- KEVIN to profile LIO
- t-shirt design with XinCheJian logo: 20 to 25 RMB, sell for 50 RMB
- KEVIN to get fapiao for t-shirts
- T-shirts have been ordered
- PAUL/EDWARD: reimbursement from official bank account
- PROPOSAL: Oliver as official mascot for XinCheJianTemplate:DEFAULTSORT 2015-10-06