Weekly Staff Meetings/2015-07-28
Staff Meeting Notes 2015-07-28, 8:15 PM to 9:15 PM Notes: Ricky Meeting Organizer: Ricky Staff: Min Lin, Ricky Late Staff: Andi Interns: William, Kevin Observers: Lio
Applause for below
- Bouncer tracking mac address with bouncer system (you need to be registered to use XinCheJianMembers)
- Congrats on the labeling system for the storage boxes
- ANDI (and interns for printing it) made the poster with tagging instructions
- William Kim for last day of internship, good job!
tracking storage boxes
- 1 more day to claim
- Final date: 29 July 2015 - JUNK WILL BE TERMINATED
- Prioritize pile and throw things we KNOW should be thrown away on Thursday
- Do something with the junk to do cool hackathon or set it on fire
- Need to think of a system
- Restate: 30 RMB / month
- track who paid and who didn't (with the bouncer system?)
- in the meantime, keep manual system working: track down who has which box? free the box or collect rental fee
Roles to prepare information before the meeting:
Support Staff Manager Update
Manages Support Staff: RICKY and SEAN: mostly interns, we want more interns, make intern program more regular
Proposal: Interns can take on many of the tasks that we've had in mind for a full-time position at XinCheJian in addition to providing a valuable service to the community by providing entry-level work experience to high school and college students. With that in mind, we should create a benefits package for interns to create an incentive for them to join and work seriously towards the space benefits
PROPOSAL: incentives for interns that are committed to 100+ hours in minimal 5 hours/day:
- manager day-to-day
- clear set of measurable OKRs
- free membership for the duration of the internship + 1 month after internship
- recommendation at the end of internship (blog post, LinkedIn, email)
- reimbursement of 10 RMB for transportation per day
- referral for level 2 internship with our partners and sponsors (ex: DFRobot)
- help at least complete one physical computing project presented to the community
Responsible for finances
- PAUL (gatekeeper) and FREDA
- Financial status: update google spreadsheet. Updated by William.
- William to grant access to finances spreadsheet and explain to update it
Communication - Responsible for managing PR, inquiries, representing the space, etc: LIO, AMANDA: No updates
Wednesday Event Manager
Wednesday night event manager: AMANDA, PAUL
- MIN LIN: no promise, but will try to prepare something for next week
- Need more marketing material
Postponed for next week
- Next generation: Staff, Members, Interns, Employees, Partners, Corporate customers (workshops)
- Should we protect ourselves against liability (insurance)?
- Should we have one or two persons?
- APPROVED AT THE MEETING/CONFIRMED: we want to have a paid employee hired in the next month
- Hanyon Wu (junior software developer, speaks Italian/English/Japanese/Chinese) dropped out due to more interesting internship
- Goal: Introduce Xinchejian to public
- Kevin Yu continues working on it.
- William to give Arduino workshop video to Kevin
This Week's Events
Wednesday Open Night
- Host (Chinese/English): Ricky & Kevin
- Makers night (8pm and on): Ricky & Kevin
- Announcement: ???
- Ricky we'd like to having XPRIZE meetup in XinCheJian: Thursday evening
- PROPOSAL: non-profit, community-oriented, non-commercial, technology events can be opened to all
- Alternatives: Hero Center and EF
- Robots meetup might be conflicting?
- Given by our new intern, Yu Sun
- Three consecutive Arduino workshops in Chinese (Arduino I, Arduino II, Arduino III)
- Sunday morning 10am: July 26th, August 2nd, August 9th
- One event completed
- Focus on high school seniors and university sophomores with interest in Electronic Engineering
- Uses the DFRobot Arduino Kit, requires XCJ membership
- PROPOSAL: any one staff project can sponsor a project and purchase the components out of the already approved budget
- do the least process possible, don't have a committee decide, use trust in the staff member
- report how the money got spent at the staff meeting
- workshop leads proposed: Simone and Azure
- PAUL will follow with a date next week (still need
- Design Thinking: workshop for designers (half-day, details need to be worked out)
- Doesn't want a team building workshop, but does want a few recommendations for workshops
- needs suggestions of workshops
- probably run during the business week
Ella Hackathon workshop
- LIO will organize for next weekend (August 9th)
- WeChat group for people interesting in joining
- 1000 RMB to organize the whole thing.
- Xinchejian Hackathon (with their help)
- Arduino Shanghai Online Community Hackathon (non-profit?): http://arduino.cn
- AMANDA sent the proposal on staff, KEVIN has comments, AMANDA to follow up
- Arduino.cn event is already sponsored
Xinchejian Book Club??
- AMANDA asking if she can run a book club
- KEVIN strongly against
- Decision is to just have a discussion. NO BOOK CLUB.
- Fail faster - August
- Barcamp - October
- 2min Film festival - September
UAE delegation visit
- yes to visit, will accept them
- Amanda, Lio, Kevin to help host.
- maybe September, they didn't reply to Paul.
- Maker carnival - 17/18th October
Rules & Regulations
- Bylaws: https://github.com/xinchejian/bylaws
- please review as staff
- Discussion about name: ANDI doesn't approve Bylaws; Italians would disregard them^^
- Rules or Regulations to be used instead