Weekly Staff Meetings/2013-05-07
Jump to navigation Jump to search
* Date : 2013 May 7 * Location : XinCheJian * Scheduled Time : 20:05 * Staff Present : Min Lin, Valentin, Lucio, Mika, Jimmy, Freda, Kevin, Lio, Edward * Others Present :
DF Robot and copying of Mika's invention
- DF Robot is selling a kit for a concept that was originally created by Mika at Xinchejian
- DF Robot said it got the idea from the Beijing Hackerspace
- The original concept is from Mika
- ACTION: Xinchejian Staff should follow up with Rockets at DF Robot
- MIKA to write email
- Goal is to get acknowledgement for original concept from Mika
- We hope Rockets will understand what happened and to support Xinchejian
- ACTION: Create a "Terms of Service / Membership" for Xinchejian members
- This should be a standard, and accepted by all members of Xinchejian during registration
- KEY IDEA: Unless expressly stated by the member, all projects are assumed to be covered by CREATIVE COMMONS - NON-COMMERCIAL - ATTRIBUTION license.
- ACTION: Create a "Partnership Document" for official Xinchejian partners
- This should be a standard document. Signatures required for official partners.
- KEY IDEA: Avoid companies taking advantage of the work / IP of Xinchejian members. They should attribute ideas to Xinchejian and the specific member. If the work is commercial, expectations are to offer some help to the community.
XINCHEJIAN POLICY - Membership - Terms of Service
- Goal is to create a document
- Handle damages and liability
- Will be incorporated into new website / membership system
- JIMMY will do research on terms and conditions at hackerspaces
- Recommended to look at www.hackerspaces.org
XINCHEJIAN POLICY - Using Xinchejian Name
- KEY RULE: Members / Staff planning to use Xinchejian in an event or publication must send an email to staff and stakeholders.
- This is to prevent misuse of Xinchejian
Laser Cutter Problems
- Alignment problem
- Lucio needs help to get it fixed
- Company has not been very helpful.
- Lucio needs a Chinese speaker / writer to handle correspondence with Chinese company
- Lucio will announce at next week's Wednesday meeting (Wed May 15)
- Edward will look into this if he has more time
- DECIDED: Xinchejian can't afford paid interns
- Concordia guy, 6m internship guy - 3000 RMB / month (too much)
- JIMMY is appointed to be INTERN WRANGLER
- Valentin will support
- Jimmy is responsible for hiring interns and all associated paperwork
- Event took place last weekend (Sunday May 5)
- Roughly 40-50 people showed up. Many walk-ins, not registered people.
- Overall, sense was that this was higher than expected turnout.
- ISSUE: Make+ sponsorship?
- Looks like free membership for 3 months was promised
- Requirement is that the teams teach a workshop
- Workshop is supposed to essentially "pay" for their memberships
- Conclusion is that Xinchejian Staff want to be supportive
- Staff consensus is that this is a worthwhile experiment
- We want to support Sophia
Machine Room issue with Good to China
- Good to China employees got access to machine room through Susan.
- This is a violation of Xinchejian Machine Room Rules
- KEY CONCEPTS:
- Use of Machine Room is limited by Xinchejian membership, machine room training, and liability waiver
- People who do not have all three are not allowed to use the machine room
- Done but...
- Needs Chinese translation
- Jimmy's new intern will do this
- ACTION: EDWARD and JIMMY will work together on integrating subscription system this week (roughly)
- Mika's project on W+K display
Shanghai Library Design Studio
- Xinchejian asked to put on a small maker fair at end of May?
- ACTION: JIMMY to talk to David to talk about it next week
Rent - What's the story?
- ACTION: MIKA or EDWARD to talk with David Li
- Understanding rent at W+K situation
- Are we paid? What's the situation?
Potential Space - Shanghai Government Hackerspace
- Lots of space. Is it a fit for Xinchejian?
Potential Space - New Location at Changping Lu
- JIMMY to take another look
- Lucio - Not a fan. Environment not great.
- Need to get a quote on price and size
Movie Night Friday (May 10)
- Evangelion 3.0
Proposed Event: China 100k
- Wednesday May 8 - 9 minute presentation
- Thursday - June 20 7-10 PM
- 3000 RMB / night (3 hours) for space rental
- 3000 RMB for Weibo + inclusion in email
- Lucio - It's important to think about our partnerships, not becoming commercial
- Consensus - We'll decide case by case.
Proposed Evnet: Nanjing Kids Coming to Xinchejian
- Proposed Event: July... Nanjing kids with parents do workshops
- MIN LIN is responsible
- Proposed workshops
- Line Follower
- New Insectbot
- Proposed Costs
- MIN LIN will write a proposal
- Require minimum number of signups and minimum payment
- Suggested price is 500 RMB per person, minimum 15 people. Discount possible.
- Wednesday - ?
- Thursday - ?
- Friday - ?
- Saturday - Open: Freda, Close:
- Sunday - Open: Freda, Close:
- Monday - ?