Talk:Swarm robots/AFRON $10 competition
7. [Optional] If your robot can be mass manufactured, you can present an analysis of how costs would scale with quantity.
The part cost will reduce due to mass purchasing and we are not proposing to scavange any parts.
Further opportunity to move to SMD parts and further reduce costs - because no longer end user hand soldering those parts!
Possible to minimise final cost by leaving some assembly to end users - eg soldering battery and motor wires and physical mounting of the hardware.
But there will be additional costs for:
- actual manufacture costs - presently no cost for XCJ members to assemble & build!
- packaging, paper documentation
- fullfillment, support, warranty
- maybe more $, maybe less$ for the PCB (instead of prototype board)