Cat Care Tips
These notes come from 冯佳 Fengjia （Freda) on how to care for young kittens.
Caring for young kittens
- Environment Temperature： holding temperature 29.4——32.2C；
- Milk Temperature： 37.8 C。 If the milk temperature is too hot or cold, the cat will not eat it. It can lead to diarrhea. You can work up cold milk by putting the feeding-bottle in a receptacle with hot water. Milk will deteriorate quickly in summer. Milk only keeps for 1-1.5 hours.
- You need to thoroughly clean your hands with sterilizing soap, before you touch the cat and after touching the cat.
- Cat Area: Don't let urine and feces keep for over 4 hours.
- Old Milk： Milk must be discarded， and shouldn't be reused。
- Cleaning the Feeding Bottle： The feeding bottle needs to be disinfected before feeding the cat. Disinfect it with hot water， finish feed feeding-bottle need clean by water,and stand in a draft
- Post-poop cleaning： After the kitten poops, clean the buttocks and tail with hygenic towelette. Urine and feces are irritable to sensitive skin.
- Dehydration： If the cat's mouth is dry and constricted、the skin loses its elasticity。touch small nose feel so dry（normal cats nose feel cool and moist. If the mouth is dry and constricted, you should feed it water.
Urine and Feces
- Normal Urine: It should be similar to people's urine (?).
- Color of the poop: KEY POINTS
- red like bleed/grume/black/orange/yellow/white go to hospital ASAP.
- brown is good!
- hard poop = dehydration
- neither too hard nor too soft is good
- round strip / toothpaste / cow dung / aqueous / spurting go to hospital ASAP
=== Giving the Kitten Attention === If you have time, touch the cat more, or talk with the baby cat. The kitten is likely to feel lonely and upset.
Other things to note:
- Kitten keeps meowing： Same as baby crying. Most healthy baby cats don't shout. It means the cat is hungry, uncomfortable, feels cold, etc. Most of the time (80%) the baby cat should be asleep. The other time the cat is eating food and defecating.
- Difficult defecation
- bleeding from the body
- abnormal tic
- lose one`s apptite
Feeding the cat
- The right way to feed is important.
- Refer to this photo,
- Don`t let cat eat air
- Never let milk trickle into the nose and lung.
After the cat has eaten its fill of milk, try to burp the cat.
- Put cat (back up) to ride piggyback,
- Pat it on the back to help it discharge air
Rubber hose / syringe
A small size rubber hose you could to cover the syringe will make it easier to feed the cat.